Coquitlam's only garbage dump is under pressure to handle increased waste during the unprecedented flood disaster, making for some smelly visits and hoards of seagulls circling the United Boulevard facility.
Metro Vancouver states that it has been accepting garbage from outside of the region to aid in the flood recovery, resulting in a 20 per cent increase in the amount of waste brought to the site.
In addition, it has has temporarily removed some bans on materials including food waste.
On a recent visit, the Tri-City News saw garbage strewn throughout the site, and food in the piles of garbage.
However, Metro Vancouver says it is working with its contractors to deal with the extra waste and by Monday much of the mess had been cleaned up.
"Increased waste volumes, combined with transportation challenges, have put pressure on the regional solid waste system and Metro Vancouver is working closely with its contractors to effectively manage the extra waste," stated Paul Henderson, general manager of solid waste services.
The temporary measure to accept food waste ends on Dec. 31.
Meanwhile, finishing touches, including landscaping, are taking place at the new Coquitlam transfer station, which is also located on United Boulevard, but further west and on the opposite side of the street.
Henderson said the new facility, which will handle waste as well as recyclable materials, will open in the new year.
"Metro Vancouver is currently finalizing facility details to meet City of Coquitlam occupancy requirements at the new United Boulevard Recycling and Waste Centre, and the expectation is that the facility will be open early in the new year," Henderson further added.